As busy college students boyfriend and I try hard to find recipes that are easy and fast while being healthy and fairly low calorie. This one hits the nail on the head. Not only is it super quick, it’s delicious, less that 400 calories, and makes enough for us to have two more meals off of this recipe! Love it.
My rating: 8.5 (this was darn good)
Boyfriend’s rating: 6 (but he says with onions and more chicken he’d bump it up to a 9)
It’s true that this meal is a little low on meat, so adding more would not be out of the question, but it was so good that I wouldn’t have missed the meat. Throw in a few veggies or add some sautéed tofu before serving and you’ve got yourself a super tasty meatless meal!
As it was, I have had one heck of a week, and this meal was just the comforting noodley goodness I needed to shake it off. I went back for seconds (which I don’t usually do because I like having leftovers). It was that good.
So here it goes!
- ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 – 13.25 to 16 oz. box of linguini or fettuccini pasta, broken in half (we used spinach and chive linguini from Trader Joe’s)
- 4 medium carrots, cut in thin 3 inch long strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in thin 3 inch long strips
- 1 bunch green onions, white part sliced and green part cut in 3 inch long strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (we used veggie)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Cut up your veggies and meat (this is the hardest part). Throw it all in a stock pot or deep skillet and cook it,covered, on high, bringing it to a boil.
Stir and recover.
Then cook for 15 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked through, but 15 minutes did it for us), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Enjoy your delicious noodley, comforting, tasty, warm meal!
Recipe adapted from The Wholesome Dish